The use of space monitoring data and geo-information technologies in the activities of public authorities at the regional level helps to solve the problems of information support of various types of economic activity and the effects on the timely adoption of management decisions on the territorial, regional, and national scales.
The spatial data used by the regional authorities can not only cover the territory of the particular region of the Russian Federation but can also cover large natural and economic areas, including information on environmental zones, mining areas, and significant infrastructure projects (roads, factories, etc.).
The most urgent tasks that need to be solved by regional authorities with the help of remote sensing data are as follows:
- The inventory and accounting of the regional property, the registration of land and real estate, the identification of unregistered taxable items, control of the use of the leased areas, control of conducting illegal business activities, and so on
- The creation of a regional base map coverage, which would consist of current electronic and regularly updated maps of various scales
- The forecasting and monitoring of emergency situations, including disasters at infrastructure facilities, the control of remediation, and the assessment of the damage
- The control of the ability to build regionally significant and large-scale infrastructure projects (roads, major sports facilities, industrial facilities, etc.)
- The monitoring of agricultural land, including the monitoring of crop conditions, the assessment of the impact of negative factors (erosion, water logging, salinization, and desertification) on the land, and so on
- The monitoring of architectural and landscape historical and cultural sites, recreation areas, and tourist destinations
- The creation of infrastructure and industry GIS reflecting the state of affairs in various sectors and areas of economic activity (energy, agriculture, natural resources, and so on), amongst others.